The nominations are out, and here are my quick thoughts, having not seen much:
- Best Picture – the movie most people will not have seen is The Reader
- Best Actor – Where is young Hollywood this year? Also surprised to see Eastwood passed over.
- Best Actress – Is it me or does this category look increasingly familiar each year? Glad to see Melissa Leo on there for some variety.
- Best Director – I know Ron Howard is good, and he’s gotten plenty of acclaim, but he’s up against some serious talent here. I haven’t seen Frost/Nixon, but this nod makes me want to see it sooner rather than later. And no Christopher Nolan?
- Original Screenplay – Thrilled that Wall-E and In Bruges are up. The latter is an underseen gem, and the former… Damn it’s good.
- Adapted Screenplay – I’ve seen one of these… Sad.
- Editing – Give it to Slumdog now and save some time.
- Animated Feature – I know I’ve only seen the one, but it better win.
- WANTED – got two nominations. Huzzah!
Because I had a meeting get moved, I’ll likely post some thoughts on a couple movies I saw on Sunday later today. You know, as opposed to this where I yammer about things I haven’t seen.